the bachelor of arts with an english major requires students to critically explore the aesthetic nature of literature with a genuine curiosity to uncover absolute truth, which defines a biblical worldview. in addition, english majors will discover personal enrichment and rhetorical flexibility as they practice writing skills in various discourse forms found in public, professional, and academic contexts. through exposure to a broad set of readings, extensive composition activity, and oral presentations, the english major provides students with the intellectual capacity and practical skills they need to attend graduate school, enter the professional workplace, or actively participate in ministry.
on graduating from the major, students should be able to:
- evidence competence in reading, writing, speaking, and listening effectively, both individually and collaboratively.
- synthesize the basic terms, techniques, facts, and interpretations of literature as seen in representative passages and selected masterpieces.
- recognize the history and grammatical structure of the english language.
- formulate a biblically based and christ-centered outlook on language, literature, and life, including consideration of truth, standards, morality, freedom, and responsibility.
- demonstrate preparation for graduate work, teaching, workplace-related or personal communication activities.
explore the full enrichment of the traditional collegiate experience and make new friends on our lively campus in circleville ohio.
100% online courses in a 5-week as-you-go flexible format for busy adults featuring forum discussions and weekly assignment deadlines.
100% online 8-week courses similar to campus classes with scheduled lectures, discussions and optional live-experiences.
24 hours within the major must be at the 3000 level or above. english and literature courses taken to meet general education requirements do not count toward major requirements.
2000-level introduction to literature elective3
2000-level american literature elective6
3000-level british literature elective6
literature electives9 to 12
language and composition electives9 to 12